Financial Planning

How to Claim Child benefit to Protect UK State Pension Years

Should I apply for child benefit if my partner is a high earner?  YES!

Protecting UK State Pension Years for Primary Carers

If you are responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16, you could be eligible for Child Benefit payments. 

Whilst the child is under 12, even if your partner earns over £50,000 per annum, claiming the benefit gives you National Insurance Credits that count towards your state pension.

Please refer to the site


High Income Child Benefit charge

If you have not yet filled in the form, you can choose to receive Child Benefit (to get the NI years) but state on the form that you do not wish to receive payments.  This means that no Child Benefit Payments are received, so there will be no liability to the tax charge.

If you have already filled in the form and are receiving payments you can either:

·         Declare and pay the tax charge through self-assessment

·         opt out of receiving payments

o   sign into your government gateway and fill in the form (tick ‘No’ in question 62)

o   Phone HMRC on 0300 200 3100 (have your National Insurance Number to hand)